Nurses, midwives and allied health professionals

By combining clinical practice and academic research, you can develop your career, raise standards and improve patient care.


Clinical academic pathway


As a nurse, midwife or allied health professional (AHP) you can become a clinical academic, allowing you to combine your clinical practice with research.

You can do this through local or national schemes:


Research degrees


You can undertake one of these research degrees with the University of Southampton:

These will allow you to take the next step in your research career, whether you are new to research or an experienced researcher.


Contact, Help, Advice & Information Network (CHAIN)


CHAIN is an online support network for people working in health & social care, facilitating the exchange of knowledge and ideas and providing networking opportunities.

It provides help and support for those wanting to apply for NIHR awards and other sources of research funding, and encourages greater linkage across the nursing, midwifery and AHP communities.

You can join CHAIN for free and become a member of the nurses, midwives and AHPs in clinical academic research group.